Friday, June 27, 2008

End of an era – Sam Bahadur

image

June 27, 2008 will always be remembered in Indian history. India’s greatest army chief till date passed away. Field Marshal Sam Hormusji Framji Jamshedji Manekshaw passed away yesterday. He was 94.

When I was in primary school, Field Marshal Sam Manekshaw was my source of inspiration. I was fascinated with his title - “Field Marshal”. I didn’t know the significance of the title. I thought I sounded cool! I always wanted to be Field Marshal. When I reached secondary school, I started liking the title of “Air Chief Marshal” because I wanted to be a pilot. Hindon Air Base was 30 kms from my home and I used to see pilots doing acrobats in their Migs every day.

My tributes to Sam Bahadur! I will always remember him as a person who shaped my formative years! I bow my head.

No comments: